Miami Beach Pop Festival Postponed

Susan Askew
Susan Askew

Miami Beach Pop Festival Postponed:

“Unforeseen circumstances cited”

The Miami Beach Pop Festival scheduled for November 8-10 has been postponed according to an announcement from the organizers. “Due to unforeseen circumstances, the continuation of the original plan is no longer viable,” they wrote on their Facebook page.
 
“The producers of the Miami Beach Pop Festival will be working with all involved parties to secure a new date in the future. The lineup will change, as some performers may be unable to accommodate a rescheduled date,” they wrote.
 
Organizers have worked for three years to bring the festival to Miami Beach encountering concerns from the community about noise and traffic and restrictions on beach use during turtle season. The idea received conceptual approval from the City Commission last September and since then the producers have worked on permitting and securing performers. In June, they announced a preliminary lineup that included headliners Chance The Rapper, Jack Johnson, Daddy Yankee, Kygo, and Juanes. The footprint of the festival was expected to span five blocks of the beach with a main stage at 10th Street and two others from 5th to 10th. Organizers said capacity was 35,000 per day.
 
The team behind the event is Bruce Orosz, CEO of Act Productions which produced Miami Beach’s Centennial celebration in 2015, and Paul Peck and Steve Sybesma. Peck was involved in the launch of Bonaroo and Outside Lands. Together with Sybesma, he co-founded the Okeechobee Music and Arts Festival. Sybesma has produced more than 6,500 concerts in his career.

The Pop Festival had been aggressively promoting discounted tickets recently but the organizers said they would have no further comment about the circumstances surrounding the postponement including ticket sales.
 
Refunds for all tickets purchased through the official Miami Beach Pop Festival site will be refunded within seven business days from today according to the organizers. Other ticket holders should reach out to the outlets they purchased tickets through.
 
“We apologize for the inconvenience while we determine a new date and the best path forward for the future of the event,” according to the announcement.
 
City Spokeswoman Melissa Berthier said, “We are saddened at the news, as we were really wanting nothing but their success. This postponement has zero financial repercussions to the City of Miami Beach as we did not have any financial stake other than potential lost resort tax revenue during the festival timeframe.”
 

Pedestrian Bridge Design Approved for 5th and Alton


Susan Askew
Susan Askew
Refinements may be made through city staff but main hurdle cleared

Ocean Drive Sidewalk Café Permits Now Dependent on Code of Conduct


Susan Askew
Susan Askew
Operators must agree to no solicitation, among other rules

“No hawking” rules extended to Lincoln Road and Española Way Cafés


Susan Askew
Susan Askew
Six Ocean Drive sidewalk cafés to shut down for 24 hours for violations

K’alma Spa Bringing Some Calm to Ocean Drive

Ocean Drive


Susan Askew
Susan Askew
Can it also bring the locals back?

Commission to consider pedestrian bridge between Essex House and Clevelander


Susan Askew
Susan Askew
Preservation Board approved the concept at its October meeting